La Vida Loca

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Livin' La Vida Loca

La Vida Loca. Travels in a Thin Country. Although both are titles stolen from people more poetic than I, they accurately describe our lives right now. We are, in fact, living a crazy life in this (geographically) thin country of Chile.

Who is "we"? Well, we've changed our names to protect the innocent (not us, by the way, but those we run into). First there is Cierva, which means "deer" in Spanish. Dad chose this name because he looks like a deer caught in headlights whenever anyone says something to him in Spanish. Margarita (our eldest) chose her name from a Spanish/English storybook. Sarafina is a Barbie reference, so it is appropriate for our youngest. I am Sisma Gringa. Sismo means "earthquake" in Spanish which is a disaster which is what I am, or what I will cause in this tiny kitchen I have to work in. So I am a female gringo disaster.

In order to enlighten our gringo friends and family, we will occasionally include some educational material in our blog. We hope you find these interesting:

Wierd Chilean Thing of the day ("WTC del dia"): mayonnaise is sold in bags.

Spanish word of the day ("palabra del dia"): "Casi" = almost. As in we "casi" have a place to live, we "casi" have a car, and we "casi" have the girls ready for school.

Looking forward to keeping in touch with people this way, and hope it works well. If there is anyone else out there reading this besides my mom, please let me know by sending a comment through this blog site. But only kind words, please. Remember, I'm a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Adios,
Sisma

2 Comments:

Blogger Guy Bickel said...

Hello Gringos! (by the way, gringo means "close friend")...

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. Has Cierva had a chance to use some of that spanish that I tought him before he left?

The phrase:
Mi chorizo es muy grande y rojo will open many doors for him.

Another helpful phrase - When greeting someone you can ask:
Como tu frijole?

Como = How
tu = you
frijole = bean

How you bean?

I've added your blog to my homepage. I look forward to hearing about the families adventures and anxiously await your next post!

My advice - stay away from bagged mayo.

I'll make a trade - you send Soma, we'll send PB!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Wife, mother, friend, daughter said...

You are so witty, I am looking forward to reading your blog often. All my love and prayers...
Amanda

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home