La Vida Loca

Friday, August 18, 2006

40


It’s a number with many historical references: The people of Israel wandered the desert for 40 years; its been 40 years since the “Fab Four’s” final concert; and 40 years ago, my husband made his appearance on this earth and muttered “Where’s my coffee?”

This week Ciervo celebrated his 40th birthday. Our first opportunity to commemorate something other than “first successful gas station visit” or “first day we got our TV to work”. But we celebrated the same way: by going out for ice cream.

We found a wonderful heladaria nearby. Its about a 40 minute (roundtrip) after-dinner stroll.

The number 40 is a big part of our lives: We drove 40 miles into the Andes last weekend, making it the furthest we’ve ventured out of Santiago without a translator along. It’s over 40 steps that we have to climb to get to our apartment since the elevator is broken, but less than 40 steps from the front of school to the first candy bar street vendor. My favorite cookie is about 40 calories, making my favorite 40 minute run just about right to burn off the few I ate for breakfast.

Rain fell on Noah for 40 days and 40 nights, and while it hasn’t been raining the whole time, we will soon be marking our 40th day in this soggy, skinny country. We have just over 40 weeks left.

I have been married to Ciervo for 40% of his life. During that time, he’s been a wonderful husband, friend and father. I love him dearly and look forward 40 more years of celebratory heladaria visits with him.

Sisma

1 Comments:

Blogger Guy Bickel said...

Hey All,

Happy 40th Ciervo! Sorry we weren't there to celebrate with you. In your honor, we'll have a huge party here in Colorado. I'm sure you would have had a great time!

Although we haven't had the chance to respond to all of your postings, I want you to know that we read them all and anxiously await the next update!

I loved the update about the groceries found in bags. Seems like all of Jennie's cooking is found in bags too - the bag from McDonald's, the bag from Subway, etc, etc. :-)

I noticed how Nancy didn't mention the fire trucks at your house this weekend - I think they were having a Peach roast or something. ;-)

"Talk" to you soon!
Guy

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home