La Vida Loca

Friday, November 10, 2006

Buton de Panico

I had to go to the 8th floor of an office building today. When I got on the elevator, there was a very large, hand-written sign on the control panel pointing to the buton de panico. (Photo is a reenactment). While I had no reason to panic at that time, I started thinking it odd that they made such an effort of pointing out the panic button. I wonder if people often panic on this elevator. Should I be panicked now? Where is this elevator going, anyway? What if it stops and the lights go out? And what if I can't see the sign that indicates the buton de panico and I have to stand here and scream but I don't know "help, I can't see!" in Spanish and its almost lunch time and what if everyone leaves and there is no one to hear me??!! Where is that button?!!!

It is nice to know that panic buttons exist. Luckily, we have had no need for one, as things have been going pretty smoothly. While I make light of our life here, it's because we are laughing through the frustrations and having fun with it all.

But the panic buttons do make us feel safe. We have a one on our telephone. It's right under the receiver and when the pizza man on the other end of the phone asks me a question I can't understand I simply push it and he goes away. There is also a panic button by our front door. When I push it, one of the doorman (Mario, Luis, or Alfredo) comes on and say something to me probably along the lines of "What now you crazy gringo? Will you please stop pushing that button?!" It's nice to know they are close by.

Right now, I'll just press the "send" button on my computer. This keeps me in touch with friends and family who keep me grounded in who I am. With you I have no reason to panic.

Sisma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home