La Vida Loca

Friday, January 12, 2007

Defining Success

I used to start my day making a laundry list of oh-so-important-things that I needed to complete in order to have a “successful” day. Sometimes, those things were more than just items on a list, they gave my life meaning. My crowded schedule meant I was important and mattered. But a smarter person than me once said, “Hurry is not of the devil, it is the devil”.

When we first got to Chile, we incorporated the “one-thing-a-day” plan because even the simplest tasks were challenging. Taking the pressure off allowed me some breathing room. But now I really resent having to do one whole thing a day. I mean, I just did something yesterday, and I deserve a day off.

Perhaps that is why we enjoyed La Serena so much. It is a coastal town about 5 hours north of Santiago that we visited with my parents. The name means “Serenity” and the inhabitants are mocked for being so laid-back as to be barely alive. We fit right in.

The beaches were long, white, and uncrowded. We spent the days lounging and talking about what and when we were going to eat again. Luckily, the restaurants were uncrowded. My mind, free of laundry, lists, and schedules, was also uncrowded. In fact, I could scarce manage a thought (which is why my blog skipped a week).

I want to stress that slowing down does not mean that we are bored in any way. We still have so much to do, see, eat, buy, smell, and laugh and complain about. Yesterday, the girls had vacation bible school, I found a new organic food store, and we learned that although frambuesa (raspberry) juice stains pajamas, chocolate caliente (hot chocolate) does not. We also explored a new park, met a new friend, and since I didn’t feel like going to the store, tried a new restaurant. This weekend, Ciervo will return from Panama, Margarita will sing in church, Sarafina will get her wish of a midnight swim, and I plan to choke down this tofu that, during a momentary lapse of reason, seemed like a good purchase.

Today I will make ice. It will be exhausting, but I should have it done by evening and then I’ll earn my checkmark for the day. Sometimes, success can be so humbling…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home