La Vida Loca

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Papa'

Yesterday Ciervo boarded a bus for Pucon to participate in his first ½ Ironman triathlon. From there he’ll travel to the states for a week (D.C. and CO) so if you see him, be sure to squeeze his muscles and swoon “ooooooo…”, stand in awe as he shows you his medal, and then tell him to get his skinny Chilean butt back here.

It been great having Ciervo around and I shouldn’t complain that he’ll be gone for the next 10 days. After all, it’s not like the girls are grounded for peeling the paint off their bedroom wall. It would be a bummer if my one-and-only babysitter just got a real job and was unable to help out next week. And it’s not like it’s too hot to go outside and our 800sf seems to be shrinking.

No, I’ll be fine. I’ll go through the typical 7 stages of abandonment: 1) denial that he is actually gone, 2) anger that he left without insuring there was adequate chocolate in the house, 3) acceptance that he is out making money so that the girls and I can live without want, 4) anger again that the remote control on the TV does not work (which isn’t his fault but ticks me off anyway), 5) joy because I realize that I miss him which must mean he is, in fact, good for something, 6) melancholy because I'm lonely and the book I’m reading is horribly depressing, and 7) elation because I’ve found the checkbook and it still registers a positive number.

Don’t worry about us. If we don’t answer when you call, we’ll be out at the feria artisiana (artisan fair), Ciclo de Danza & Música Internacional (Dance and music festival), or the fashion show at Parque Arauco (the mall). We plan on spending time at la picina (the pool), with friends, and practicing our new “wheelies”. If we get desperate there is always Mampoto (think Chuck E. Cheese) or el cine. We might spend most of what he is making on his trip, which serves him right for leaving in the first place.

Papa will return donning the pride of his first ½ Ironman. He’s sure to be ½ beat from the race and business trip back-to-back, and may be ½ out of his mind with all the work that will result of it. But we wish him all the luck in the world, are 100% proud of him, and will be totally happy to have him “home”.

Sisma

1 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Hi Sisma, it's Susan, Fulbright exchange teacher here in Santiago. Imagine our surprise when, on my family's trip to the south of Chile, we ran into (almost literally) Ciervo in Pucon. He was doing great, staying just ahead of that little old lady in the wheelchair until the very end when she rolled right over him. Anyway, we got some nice pictures of him. Send me your e-mail address and I will send them to you: susran@niles-hs.k12.il.us.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home