La Vida Loca

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Quality Control

I’m on my third hair dryer in 6 months. We bought a box of 4 card holders to make it easier for the girls to hold playing cards in their little hands. There were 3 in the box. The queso (cheese) I just bought is moldy and the cheap clock does not keep time. The princess movie we purchased from a street vendor ended up being a “Rocky Trilogy”. Worst of all, my diet coke was flat.

“Quality Control” must not directly translate. Standards here are not what we are used to and “buyer-beware” prevails. You can’t cut corners with cheap scissors – we know because we tried. So our standards, expectations, and attitudes have changed. For instance, thank heavens that computer microphone broke so we have a play-karaoke mic for hours of mind-numbing High School Musical songs.

There is one thing we can always count on – the Chilean people. I don’t think I’ve mentioned before just how nice they really are. Juan Carlos and Alfredo will routinely help me with my groceries, and Mario is always there to fix the lavadora (washing machine) when I break it. Vendadores and cajas (vendors and cashiers) always offer a genuine smile. Keith had a Chilean friend haul his bike 10 hours back from Pucon, and the girls just had a 7 hour playdate – now there are quality friends.

Surprises are everywhere and it is exciting to not know exactly what you might get. When we went to see La Telaraña del Charlotte (Charlotte’s Web), the names had been changed – Wilbur was Wilfredo, Templeton was Emelio, and Ike the horse was Ignacio. The tickets were cheap, the theater air-conditioned (a rarity), and the popcorn was dulce (sweet). Again, the diet coke was flat. But Charlotte was still her amazing spider self, even writing bilingual.

Each day comes with its own surprises, some good and some disappointing. But whatever life throws at us we will always expect the best. Not the least of which is that refreshing “pffizzzzzz” when I unscrew my next soda.

Sisma
Our quality dad that we miss so much!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home